A Monstrous New Direction?

I’ve been doing a bunch of sketching recently for my Monstrosities.  In my last post (April 17th), I tried creating a Monstrosity from a rough head sketch.  The result was interesting enough for me to come up with some new ideas.  I tried to see how realistic I should go.  The illustration I have to show today was an experiment in how realistic is too realistic.  Granted it’s a stylized head illustration.  But my point of it was to see where my Monstrosities should go.  I still don’t know.  I just know that I like doing these little creatures.




But I think that this not the way these creatures should go.  This doesn’t really feel like it’s in the same world.  It feels more like a mutation or zombie-ish type of character/creature design.  While I like it, it isn’t a Monstrosity.

It was an interesting experiment.  I know a little more of where I don’t want my Monstrosities to go now, and that’s a good thing.  We’ll see what happens in the next experiment.  Maybe I’ll call these explorations “Experiments” from now on too.   Hmmmm….that’s interesting.

More to come.  Stay tuned!

Monstrosity – April 17th, 2016

Last night I started scribbling on some card stock and came up with a fun new idea for my monstrosities where I begin with a head and do a monstrosity spin on it.  I sketched it in pencil and then inked it with a 01 micron pen.  Then I did a quick grey scale in clip studio paint.  I actually think it would have turned out better if I had done the grey scale with some markers.  But, practice makes perfect….or at least a bit better each time.


These monstrosities are moving in some strange and interesting directions.  We’ll see how they evolve.

More to come.  Stay tuned!

A Monstrous Experiment

Something that I have yet to try (until now) is to create one of my Monstrosities digitally.  Drawing them up with the rougher pencil just seemed appropriate.  But today I wanted to give a digital Monstrosity a shot.  I used Clip Studio Paint on my 13″ Cintiq HD. I just went in like I normally do with the pencil function to sketch out shapes until I came up with something that I felt had potential.  From there I started a new layer and used the pen brush to go over it.  I like the stabilization feature for this.  Keeps things nice and clean as well as speeds up my workflow.  After that came a lot of experimenting.  I wasn’t sure if I wanted to keep this one black and white or try out a color version.  I went back and forth several times and ended up going for color.  I used a limited palette and tried different effects.  This is something I’m going to have to try a few more times until I hammer down a coloring style and workflow that really works for this type of theme.


I’m happy with the overall look of this new digital Monstrosity, but the color needs work.  Being that I went in without even knowing if it would be color or black and white – I think that set me on an unknown course and hurt the end result.

I learned a lot from this, which is what I love about these illustrations/creatures.  Each is a new leap in artistic challenges.  Somewhere down the line I think this new digital color version could be the way to go with these.  I’ll still work traditionally as well because I just love the feel and that medium really lends itself well to these creatures, but the digital realm has a lot of possibilities whirling around my head for these Monstrosities.

More to come.  Stay tuned!

New Monstrosity!

I’ve been wanting to create more monstrosities for some time now.  They’re so much fun to work on!  Each are great exercises in form, texture and uniqueness (at least I hope they are).  I begin by sketching in forms with no real direction in mind until I like what I see and it all just blossoms from there.

The only couple of things that were really consciously done were  – the top that was inspired by the folds of the skin on my knuckles, the feet were from thinking about a caterpillar, and the intestine looking belly was from, well, thinking about intestines.  The rest was playing around with forms, textures, and line work.


I also thought I would add a few quick sketches to show.  First up are a few other moleskine sketches from around Valentine’s Day.




This last one was done early one day last month as one of my warm up sketches.


That’s all for now.  It was nice to show some more illustration work.  I’ll try to come up with some more soon.  Maybe some more monstrosities!

Stay tuned – More to come!