Baby Mold

Today I wanted to show a few images of how I went about creating the mold for the baby sculpt as well as how the final mold turned out.

I used Shell Shock and Plasti Paste from Smooth-On to create the mold.  I’m new to these materials and they were a little bit of a headache to get used to as I had a bit of a learning curve with them.  All in all, the mold turned out alright though not the prettiest thing.  lol  The lightweight materials didn’t kill me in shipping costs so that was a plus.  And the client had no issues with using the mold to cast from.

Will I use the same materials again…..I don’t know.  Maybe.

First I placed the sculpture (still on the stand) on the floor as I don’t have a big enough table for this one.  Then I used video tapes to build up an area around it – usually use wood blocks, but was out.  Tapes worked fine.  I then used sculptex clay as the clay wall so I could mold the front half of the sculpture.  As you can see I got a little scatter-brained deciding what type of keys to use.  So it ended up being a miss-mash of a few types.

Josh_Hagen_baby_mold1

Then it came to applying the Shell Shock.  This is used to capture the details of the sculpt.  I put down a few layers to build it up.  After those layers had set, I added layers of Plasti Paste to give it strength and durability.  Acts kind of like fiberglass.

Josh_hagen_baby_mold2

I let that all set overnight and flipped it all upside down, sculpture stand and all.  Then I unscrewed the stand from the sculpture and leaned off all of the clay used it creating the dam.

Josh_Hagen_baby_back_in_mold

My next step was to fill in the hole where the sculpture stand was screwed into the interior armature of the sculpture.  Then I added a pour spout at the top of the baby’s head and since I could see the possibility of air bubbles occurring in the castings, I added places for the air to escape via clay tubes.Josh_Hagen_baby_back_filled_etc

Here we have the final mold.  Bottom half on the left, top half on the right and the closed mold in the center.  As you can see I sawed it down a bit.  Mainly done for convenience with weight when using it and for shipping.

Josh_Hagen_baby_mold

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s